Sunday, May 20, 2007

A Train Wreck Waiting to Happen

Lately, I can' help but feel like I'm on a train that's just out of control, the throttle is stuck full open we're just speeding up, hurtling faster and faster, just a train wreck waiting to happen.

I think it's partly because my plate keeps getting fuller and fuller, and there's always something else that has to be done, and of course, sooner rather than later.

Somehow, you just know everything's going to collide together and at some point you're going to lose control. And maybe that's the problem, I guess I like to be in control, and slowly, I'm losing that control and I know soon, events are going to control me, rather than the other way around.

My mom is on her second round of chemo, just having completed her second week. Next week is her third and final week in this round, and then she gets a week off. She decided also not to go to Orlando along with us (Lars, Lauren and myself), she because the doctor recommended she not go, and us because our lives are just a little too hectic. The doctor said if she absolutely wanted to go she could, but she didn't recommend spending 5 hours on an airplane while she was immune-compromised from the chemotherapy. Meanwhile, she's also begun to lose her hair, a prospect I know that has bothered her quite a bit for some time. We did stop by a wig store last week and ordered a wig for her, but we have not yet picked it up.

After a week and a half at my new job, I have to say I'm very happy with my new company. There are some great people working there, there are nice benefits, and it's obvious the company is growing fast. Since we aren't going to Orlando, I'm going to spend next week in a training class at my company instead. 5 days of classes, which means long days, since I will have to put in some time at work after class is over.

Lars is busy at school, with only a month left in the school year. He's got to get completely packed since he too is about to change jobs over the summer. He's going from teaching in an elementary school to teaching in a middle school. So his classroom has to get packed up and moved, not an easy proposition, when you've been collecting teaching materials for close to 10 years or more.

Lauren is still of course the bright spot in our lives. She learns more and more words every day, and lately her favorite thing is trying to learn how to sing "Old MacDonald Had a Farm". She's limited right now to singing "Eee-I-Eee-I-Ooo" and "Moo-Moo here". She's finally completely enchanted with her new puppy dog, and proudly showed him off at her day care show and tell.

We wish everyone well in Florida, and hope they all have a good time without us. We'll be thinking about you!

No comments: