Sunday, September 28, 2008

Remembrance Weekend

I've been racking my brain all week trying to think how I can best honor my Uncle John in my blog posting. Uncle Jun-Been Shao (John as we called him) passed away on September 17th. His funeral was this past Saturday. The service was beautiful, full of love, family and friends. I think that's exactly what Uncle John would have wanted it to be. Although Lauren didn't stay for the entire service, I wanted her to be there for part of it, to share in the spirit of love we were showing my uncle, so she and Lars came for the first half hour.

I thought many of those who came to share their memories of Uncle John were extremely eloquent, especially my cousins Ling and Hal. Somehow, surprising particularly myself, I was the most emotional. I had planned to talk about a few memories I had of my dear uncle, and thought I was quite prepared both emotionally and oratorically. But my emotions got the better of me, and I barely made it through my talk about our childhood family gatherings, the conversation I had with my uncle when I was in college, and my recent visit with Lauren in tow. Afraid I might have the emotional meltdown that I did, I even stuffed a handkerchief in my pocket, but standing up on the podium, digging around in my pockets as tears rolled down my cheek, my hands came up empty handed, and it was my cousin Hal who came to my rescue with a box of tissues.

My aunt and cousins hosted a lovely family and friends gathering for dinner after the service. Lars and Lauren attended as well, and I was glad to see all of us sitting together enjoying each others company, as we did when we were younger for family gatherings, but we were missing one more family member, but we know that Uncle John was there with us in spirit, keeping an eye on the little ones who were having fun, enjoying themselves, and creating their own bonds and their own memories for when they are older, and reflecting on the lives they've created for themselves.

No comments: