Saturday, May 15, 2010

27 Dresses

My mom was never the type of woman to have many clothes. I guess as she got older, she really did understand that possessions truly weren't as important as family and relationships. Lauren on the other hand is a complete clothes hound. As hard as we try to explain to her the concept of donating clothes when they've become too small, she still insists on holding on to dresses that are way too small for her. The sad part about it is she'll occasionally put them on too and insist on wearing them all day long.

Lauren also happens to have some dresses that she's picked out when we're at the store, and she's never worn them. I can take one look at a dress now, and know she'll never wear it, but she'll still insist on buying the dress, saying she will absolutely wear the dress. I should know better, but sometimes she still convinces me to buy it.

Just this morning I took a dress out of her closet. It was a Disney Princess dress. The top was purple with silk-screened princesses on it and the bottom was a denim skirt. She's never willingly worn this dress and she's had it over a year. (For some reason she has an aversion to denim - she won't wear jeans at all). So I told her this morning we were going to give away the dress, since she never wears it. She read me the riot act saying she would wear it later and I could not get rid of her dress. So in the end it's still hanging in her over-stuffed closet, similar to the one in "27 Dresses" that Katherine Heigl can't get closed, because she's unwilling to part with any of them.

No comments: