Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Las Vegas and InterOp

At one time InterOp was the largest computer networking tradeshow in the United States. I started attending InterOp in 1991 and started staffing it (for companies I worked for) in 1992. In 1991 it was based in San Jose, moved quickly to San Francisco and eventually to Las Vegas as the show grew in size and no longer fit in the Bay Area convention centers.

This year, marked my 20th year of attending an InterOp. Scary thought as it truly shows I'm getting older. The show is just a shadow of what it once was, as the dot com bust along with the global recession have taken their toll. While the show floor was smaller, there was definitely more chatter and more enthusiastic attendees talking about spending money in their IT budgets, a good sign for the global economy.

The show this year was once again in Las Vegas, not in the LVCC (Las Vegas Convention Center), but the Mandalay Bay Convention Center, a favored choice recently with smaller high tech trade shows. This meant another stay at Mandalay Bay (actually THEhotel a separate suite-only hotel that is part of Mandalay Bay). I've stayed at Mandalay Bay many times in the past, for various shows, and every time in the past, my mom accompanied me so she could gamble at Mandalay Bay, an MGM Grand property that shares player programs with Bellagio, my mom's favorite casino.

This was my first trip without my mom tagging along. It was sad to think about all the times she accompanied me. In honor of her memory I went to the Player's Club registration desk and signed up for my own card, and gambled a little as well, as I could hear her voice telling me to enjoy myself a little and what was I doing making money and not being able to spend some on myself. With her spirit guiding me, I actually won a little bit of money on the slots, and in addition one a drawing for a flying toy while I was on the show floor at InterOp. Both wins were a surprise for me, since I never win at slots, much less drawings. My only conclusion, my mom was there with me, providing me luck for the week.

No comments: