Friday, November 04, 2011

Halloween In Spades


Halloween started early for Lauren this year. My company decided to host a "kids" event for the first time this year on Friday, October 28, in the afternoon. So that day, I went and picked Lauren up from school and got her dressed for our work event. She dressed up as a kitty cat, using a costume I purchased on clearance at Target a few years back (that I purchased even though it was obviously too big for her at the time). At my office, she got to roam the halls looking for "trick-or-treat" stations throughout the building and collecting goodies along the way.

At the end of the adventure, the kids wound up in our cafeteria, where there was a popcorn machine, balloon sculpture artist, face painting artist, along with arts and crafts for the kids to work on. Lauren worked on a few art projects before we decided it was time to move on to her next activity.

That evening was the annual Fall Festival for Lauren's school. It's a fund-raising activity for the PTA, along with fun for the kids around Halloween activities. We only got to stay for an hour, but Lars stayed longer to help out with the event. Lauren played a few games, won some treats, and had dinner while she was there.

After the hour was up, we were on our way to our next activity, Lauren's weekly Chinese school. That evening was Halloween parade and "trick-or-treat" at the Chinese school. I was the parent designated to get treats, and working under the assumption (which was wrong) that candy wasn't allowed, I had picked up erasers, pencils, stickers and balloons. Lauren had fun walking around the campus and picking up treats along the way.

On Saturday, I took Lauren with me to Home Depot to get some parts for a repair I needed to finish up in our rental home, and discovered they were doing a special Halloween Kid's Workshop, so she got to decorate a white field tile, using stickers and permanent markers. We also stopped and picked up a pumpkin (since our previous ones had already disintegrated). At home we carved the new pumpkin and set it out for Halloween.

On Monday, the actual day of Halloween, Lauren's school had a parade activity at 10:30 AM, which included not only a parade, but also dancing for the classes. After lunch, her class had its own Halloween party which included treats contributed from various families including popcorn that we brought in along with erasers as treats for the kids.

After school, I took Lauren up to the Great Mall where she participated in Disney Radio's Halloween even and "trick-or-treating" at the mall. When we got home, she continued her trick-or-treating in the neighborhood to the few homes we're familiar with.

All-in-all a very busy Halloween.

No comments: