Monday, May 21, 2012

Meeting Reflections

Last week was the week I hold the one event of the year, that I'm solely responsible for at work.  It was a success, and the fifth year in I row I've held the event.

During some of the breaks at the meeting, we were talking about backup systems that didn't work (like the ones during the '89 earthquake and the recent power plant incident in Japan). It got me thinking about Shoreham, something I haven't thought about in a while, and I remember going on a field trip in elementary school to the site, and having LILCO officials give us a little plastic pellet on a cardboard backing in a blister packing, representing the uranium fuel that would be used in the power plant and would power the entire Island. If you know anything about Shoreham, you know it never opened after its completion in 1984.

The site was eventually dismantled in the 1990s.  I reflected on how much promise and hope Shoreham was supposed to give, and how it just faded from our thoughts and our memories.

No comments: