Thursday, May 31, 2012

Ballet Recital

This past weekend was our 3 day weekend in the U.S., with a holiday on Monday to celebrate Memorial Day.  It's hard to believe it's already the end of May, and that Lauren's school year ends tomorrow.  The fact that Lauren is growing up quickly is one that does not escape me, and it's a wonder to see what an incredible child she's grown to become.  Just this week I picked her up early one day and she came home and copied off some math worksheets and then asked me if I could find more for her.  After printing a few more from the internet, she then asked me to set up a timer, so she could do timed tests.  So she spent the next hour doing subtraction tests and after each one she had me grade them.  She considers this to be fun.  I guess when I was kid I would have thought that was fun too.  After all I'm the strange child that signed up for summer school to take a math test over since I didn't score a perfect 100.  I only got a 96.  In my defense, you have to realize, in my mind, there was no way I could have actually scored a 96.  That would have meant getting two problems wrong, and that, well that was just an impossibility.  So I did take the test over at the end of the summer, and I got my 100, which went along with every other 100 I scored during my high school years on math regents exams.

But I digress.  This past weekend, my sister Marie invited us to see Michaela and Mariah in their spring ballet recital.  Lauris was out of town, since his grandson Spencer was graduating from high school last Thursday.  We couldn't join him because Lauren of course had school and I had work.  So Lauren and I drove up to Oakland to see the performance which included scenes from Sleeping Beauty.  Afterwards both families went to a sushi restaurant called "Goldfish" for dinner.  Lauren as usual had a great time with her cousins.  For the rest of the weekend we had a rather sedate at home Memorial Day, while the rest of the Bay Area was having some rather historic events (for example, the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco celebrated its 75th anniversary).



No comments: