Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Thanksgiving 2005

The last Thursday in November is traditionally Thanksgiving in the United States. For those who live outside the United States, many find this American holiday a bit strange. Yes the history of this holiday comes from Indians and Pilgrims, but today the holiday is used as a time to reflect on what we have to be thankful for in our lives. The one time a year we can stop and take a minute to realize how many positive influences there are in our lives.

So what do I have to be thankful for this year? It's 2005, and incredibly I have lots to be thankful. The first is of course my daughter Lauren, who is the light of my life right now. It'd be impossible at this point to imagine life without her. I'm thankful for my family, all of whom are here to support me.

I'm thankful that my dad is around to see Lauren, Michaela and the other grandchildren. I'm thankful that my mom's cancer isn't as serious as it could be. I'm thankful that Lars' foot has started to heal, and he's able to get around more easily now.

I'm thankful that on Thanksgiving day, I'll be able to host a lot of my family at my home for a Thanksgiving celebration.

Those are the things you'd expect that I'd be thankful for, and here are some of the ones you wouldn't expect.

Believe it or not I'm thankful on this, the year of my 20th reunion from high school, that I'm not attending the high school reunion. I'm thankful that I still have a full head of hair. I'm thankful that I got a bigger hard drive for my laptop from work. I'm thankful that I college friends who live in the Bay Area.

I'm thankful that my company survived the dot-com bust, and that as company they haven't been forced to cut benefits like many other companies in the Bay Area. I'm thankful that I have flexible work hours that let me take Lauren to my mom's in the morning.

So yes, there's definitely lots more to be thankful for. It's a holiday to make us all realize how lucky we are, and to be thankful for the things we do have. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: