Saturday, January 24, 2009

Glue

I've often told people, who ask what it is I do for a living, that I'm "glue". I'm the person that keeps all the different parts of the company informed and together. It's a little bit of an exaggeration in my current company, but it was probably more true than not in my previous company.

Earlier today we had my mother's funeral service, and as I listened to people eulogize about my mother and talk about how strong she was, and how giving, and selfless, I realized my mom was "glue" long before I started making a profession out of it.

She was the one who made sure everyone was invited to family functions, she kept distant family members up to date with the latest news, she was a link to all of our family, even if she didn't realize it. She even kept my siblings and I in constant contact with each other, making sure her grandkids had plenty of play time together.

And now that she's gone I wonder who will be the "glue" in this family. I know deep inside that it's really my job, but somehow I feel inadequate to the daunting task at hand. I know I'll never be as good "glue" as my mom was, so I'm going to depend on all of you to keep up your end, by keeping in touch as well, in honor of her memory.

No comments: