As we've all been grieving this week, I came to a realization about how each of us grieve so differently. I guess that should be no surprise as no two of us are truly alike, and we each knew my mother differently.
I have found myself breaking out in tears for no reason whatsoever at times when I haven't even been thinking about my mother. But for the most part I've been able to keep it together. I do so for Lauren, for the rest of the family, and to complete the mission I've set for myself. I've kept myself busy all week with funeral planning. I realized today, that's how I deal best with not only grief but almost anything else in my life, and that's to keep myself busy, to get buried in my work, or my writing or anything else that can take me to another place.
It works for me, but it keeps me out of touch with what's happening around me. I haven't been watching the way everyone else has been dealing with their grief. Some of you have been bearing your burden silently, others weeping out loud, some of you have reacted in anger. I realize anger is one way to handle grief, and in some ways it's the easiest. To be angry at everyone and anything for not being able to prevent the death of a loved one.
So forgive me if I seem distant, and I'll remember to forgive you if you seem upset, tired, distant or any other emotion I've failed to include. We all share in our grief, for we've lost an incredible woman, my mom.
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Dear brother Tim,
Our family and I really feel very sorry and sad to hear this news. Auntie Meiyin was a very good and kind auntie who treated our entire family members well when we were in New York. Therefore, I feel very grieved for losing her. She was such a good mother that I know it must be a very hard time for all of you to go through. Every time I look at your blog reading your words, I can feel that you are the son with filial piety who always takes care of your mother with much care and thoughtfulness. Therefore, I really learned a lot from you.
I believe auntie Meiyin now rests in peace and she will watch all of you like an angel in the heaven.
Please take care of yourself and help me to give all my family's best regards to all of your family members. I really appreciate that. Thank you a lot.
Your cousin Mimi
2009.1.24
Post a Comment