Monday, August 06, 2012

Go Haman Huskies!

At Lauren's school there's a monthly meeting of the dads who drop off their kids in the morning.  One of the dads organizes it as a "dad's breakfast".  He also tries to get the dads involved in projects for the school.  This past weekend, he along with the dad who runs the cub scouts troop for the school set out to replace the basketball backboards in the kids play area the elementary school.

The backboards were in pretty rough shape.  Most of them had rotted wood, and some were barely hanging on to the metal brackets they were attached to.  There were six in the school play area, and the plan was to replace all of them over the two days of the weekend.

Since the dads group sounded desperate for help, I went along with Lauren to help reconstruct the back boards.  The first day we got two backboards up and in place after 4 to 5 hours of work.  Some of the dads talked about needing a "Siberian husky" for the backboard, as that's the school's mascot.  So when I got home I went in search of stencils of siberian huskies, and found some that were used for Halloween pumpkins.  I transferred the stencil image from paper to poster board and cut out the image using an x-acto knife.  Then I did the same thing with a stencil for a paw print.

The second day I brought the stencils and can of spray paint with me, and we applied them to the finished backboards.  You can see the finished product here.  Lauren had a lot of fun going.  She helped paint the red backboards and got to hang out with the other kids who were there with their parents.

No comments: