Some of you may already know that when platy's give birth the typical number of fry can be quite large, much larger than the 6 that we have in our tank.
I have a theory on why there's only 6 small fry in brood. Yesterday, when the platy was about to give birth, the algae eater in the tank was going crazy. I didn't understand why, as I did not realize the platy was imminently about to give birth. The algae eater zoomed around the tank like crazy, and I couldn't figure out why.
I ignored the tank for a while and when I went back I discovered not only the newly born small fry in the breeder tank, but the algae eater in the top of the breeder tank next to the platy! The algae eater had zoomed around so fast he had jumped out of the water and directly into the breeder tank.
My guess is that the algae eater ate the remaining small fry that were born leaving the lucky six that fell through grating to be protected in the breeder tank. After the platy gave birth the algae eater went back to his normal calm self, so I can only imagine it was the birth that made him go crazy.
Wednesday, March 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment