Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Lauren Gives Everyone a Scare

Last night while I was driving home from work, Lauren was playing the backyard while Lars was making dinner in the kitchen and keeping an eye on her through the kitchen window and an ear out for her through the open back door. She was playing with one of her dolls and one of her sand buckets that had some water in it that she was using to clean her doll.

Apparently she spilled some of the water on the back step and was on her way into the house when she slipped and fell backward on the back sidewalk concrete. Lars heard the thud and ran out to find Lauren on her back on the sidewalk and passed out. She wasn't moving, and her lips had lost their color. He picked her up, and she began to have a mild seizure. He ran through the house with her rushing to get her out the front door, expecting to meet me in the driveway as we had talked earlier and I was due any minute. After a few minutes she regained consciousness and began to make some noises.

As I pulled up to the house, I could see Lars running out the door with Lauren in his arms, limp, but I could hear her whimpering. He banged on the car door and I unlocked the door, and he rushed in saying we had to go to the hospital. Lauren started crying and I put the car in reverse and we went to the hospital. It seemed like a really long drive, and as we rushed to the hospital, we kept telling Lauren to stay awake, as her eyes rolled around in her head and she appeared as she was going to doze off.

Lars explained to me what happened as we drove, and he was pretty upset, which I think made Lauren scared as well. And she started to say she didn't want to go see a doctor. When we got to the hospital Lars ran in with Lauren, and of course, it took them a long time to see her, with paperwork and procedure.

The first hour we were there Lauren remained lethargic, but she started to pick up after the first hour. The doctor's main concern was that she didn't have a hematoma, and that there wasn't something else that caused her to have the fall. To rule these things out they gave her a CT Scan first. 45 seconds of heavy radiation to take a picture of the inside of her head. I stayed with her the entire time talking to her to keep her calm and to get her to keep her head still.

The CT Scan came back negative, and they asked to do a Chest X-ray (to rule out that she had swallowed anything that could have caused her to fall), and an EKG. Once again, I went in with her for the x-ray, so I got my fair share of radiation last night as well. The x-ray came back negative, and the final test of the night was an EKG, which they did in the emergency room.

As the night progressed Lauren returned to normal and within a few hours, she was happy and making jokes and blowing raspberries, just a happy 3 year old. This was the best indicator that everything was okay, and we got to leave the emergency room 5 hours after we arrived. The doctors decided she probably had an "impact seizure" which apparently is not uncommon for a fall on one's head.

We have to watch her the next few days to make sure she doesn't have strange motor movements, and any abnormal pain, and any changes to her behavior.

So far this morning she's been great, and acting like normal. We kept her home from daycare today, and Lars is watching her.

No comments: