I was able to get some heavily discounted tickets for the King Tut exhibit at the De Young Museum in San Francisco. The only downside was that they were for a weekday. So both Lars and I left work early yesterday, picked up Lauren and drove up to SF around 4pm. We had 5-5:30PM entrance tickets for the exhibit. We got there in plenty of time and parked in the Museum garage.
Lauren was excited about seeing a "king", but I think she was rather disappointed that all she actually saw was a lot of statues and pieces behind glass. While the staging was done very nicely, there weren't as many pieces as one would expect to see in an exhibition as widely touted as this one, and for the cost (retails around $37.50 a ticket). The last time I saw this exhibit was when it was at the Metropolitan Museum in New York City in 1979. I got to go as part of a field trip put on by the GATE program I was in at my elementary school. I remember very little from that original trip to the Met, but did buy a book and a postcard when I was at the museum. So it was nice seeing the exhibit again as an adult.
Afterwards we walked through the museum gift shop and Lauren picked out a bag of polished rocks, and an eraser with a printed hieroglyph on it to purchase. In addition we found a machine that printed out your name in hieroglyphs, so Lauren got to print out her name and Lars did his as well. Later in another museum gift shop Lauren found a children's book on Egypt which we bought for her as well.
After we left the museum we went to a diner in SF for dinner before driving home, and of course, Lauren fell asleep on the drive back down to the south bay.
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment