Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Domo Arrigato Gozaimashita

It's hot and humid in Tokyo, Japan. I landed here around 3pm local time on Tuesday. It's about 9pm as I'm writing this, and only 5am in California. I'm in Tokyo on a business trip, one where I get to hold a press conference on my company's latest products. Not a hard task, but one that comes at an unusual time for me.

It seemed like a strange time to be leaving California. For one thing my mom's second laser surgery for eyes was supposed to be this week, but we were able to reschedule it for next Tuesday. Secondly, I'm not in California to take care of my parents car issues. We bought my mom and dad a new car over the weekend, and insurance has to be arranged. The minivan might have an exhaust leak, and the warranty expires this week, so I wanted to have it checked out before the warranty runs out.

Luckily for me, my dad's taking care of both these issues for me. But there's lots more little things that are happening this week that I wish I was there for. So I'm continuing to worry in my usual way. Stress, stress, and more stress.

The ten hour flight over to Tokyo was mostly uneventful, just a few bumps here and there. I got about 4 hours of sleep and watched movies for the rest. There wasn't much chance of getting work done on the plane since it was full and crowded flight, and I find it hard to work on planes without having some elbow room.

The flight back on Sunday doesn't hold any promise of being any less full. But at least ANA has a full complement of films to watch in Economy class to help while away the time.

Domo Arrigato Gozaimashita.

No comments: