Wednesday, September 15, 2004

The Stradivarius that Never Was

I was recently sitting and having dinner with my sister Marie, her husband Michael and with Lars and I recounted the story of the Stradivarius that never was. It's a story from my college days, and one of those things you wish you had actually been able to do when you were younger, and never got to. It's a story about regret, promise, and the future.

When you hear the word "Stradivarius", you invariably think about expensive, world-class violins. Perhaps you think about how much they fetch at international auctions, or you think about the tonal perfection and sound quality from the well known "Stradivarius" violins.

But what most people don't know is that a violin with a "Stradivarius" label is more common than you'd expect. Many violins that carry the "Stradivarius" label were made by the apprentices and journeymen of Antonio Stradivari. In addition during the 18th, 19th and 20th century many replicas of Stradivarius violins were made using labels that resembled the original one used by Antonio Stradivari. It's hard to authenticate a real one, much less a real one in pretty poor condition, and there are trained experts that authenticate violins based on design, wood, and varnish.

When I was in college, I had a favorite bookstore, it was called "Whodunit?" and was located in Philadelphia, near 13th and Walnut. I used to love spending time perusing the used books, looking for the latest fantasy or science fiction book to add to my collection. Lying on top of one of the bookcases on display was a old and beaten violin. It was missing strings and had no accompanying bow.

One day during my senior year, I happened to ask the proprietor about the violin. It was a curiousity to me, since I've played violin since the fourth grade. He replied that he got in an estate auction (where he purchased some books), and had planned on selling it soon. He took down the violin from the top of the bookshelf and showed it to me. He said it was a Stradivarius, but I knew there were Stradivarius violins, and then there were Stradivarius violins.

The violin itself had the correct looking "Cremonius" label, but the biggest problem, was a crack that ran the length of the back of the violin. One half of the back was separated from the rest of the violin. It needed major restorative work. But it was a Stradivarius (or so it appeared). The proprietor of the store offered to sell it to me as is for $75.00. I told him I would think about it.

I really wanted the violin, but I was in college, had limited funds, and realized I had better things to spend the money on. So I passed on buying the violin. I often wonder who bought it, if it's still there, and whether it really was a Stradivarius. I sometimes think I should have just bought the violin to have.

A few years back I finally purchased a new (for me) violin, a German made violin, probably 100 years old, the first non-Asian violin I've ever owned. It's no Stradivarius, but it does have a nice rich tonal quality to it, that my Asian made violin certainly never had. It's a good compromise, no Stradivarius, but a very nice violin nonetheless. And isn't that what life's about? - A good compromise.

No comments: