Thursday, September 09, 2004

I thought we'd be friends forever, Well forever got a lot shorter suddenly

These are two lines spoken by Andrew McCarthy and Emilio Estevez in one of my favorite '80s flicks, St. Elmo's Fire. I'm just a little movie crazy, the person who has always loved Hollywood and the happy ending. St. Elmo's Fire was one of those movies I thought reflected how life should be, showing friends staying friends after college.

I have my own group of close friends from college. We were the best of friends during the University years, we tried to stay close afterwards, and some fifteen years later, perhaps not surprisingly, we're not as close as we used to be. "I thought we'd be friends forever." I'd like that to be my line. That was Kirby's line in St. Elmo's Fire. Kirby was the character that was always a dreamer and an optimist. He chased his dreams regardless of how little chance of success he had. In the movie, the group of friends drifted apart. But they still remained friends, they grew up, matured, and found their own identities. They moved on, but in a crisis came back to help each other.

In the end I guess that's what happened to my friends and I. We got older, devoted time to each of our own families, built our own lives and our own careers. We used to get together 4 or 5 times a year, now we're lucky if we make it twice. Our traditional get togethers were for each other's birthdays, but we've now missed three birthdays in a row. But in a crisis, I know they'd be there for me in an instant.

"Well forever got a lot shorter suddenly."

No comments: