Monday, August 30, 2004

End of Summer Heat Wave

It's strange how a hot day can change your entire perspective on what you're planning to accomplish that day. I had the best intentions of going over to my parent's house on Saturday to start working on the replacement windows that I've been meaning to install for over 2 years now. It's a labor intensive chore, so I've been putting it off and putting it off, having only installed a single window, when I remodeled the bathroom a few years ago.

There's about 10 other windows left to do, and I figured this last weekend was the one where I'd make a dent in that number. Unfortunately it turned out to be a heat wave for the bay area, and labor intensive tasks aren't a good idea in the heat.

So instead Saturday, I stayed home and installed one set of vertical blinds for one of the rear patio doors in the house. Something I bought a week ago or so. I also re-upholstered my desk chair for work. It's a leather executive chair with a built in massager (for my back). The leather in the seat tore, and I bought a replacement chair, borrowed its leather cover and recovered the seat of my chair. Later in the day, I went over my parents house and took my parents and Michaela over to the mall to get out of the heat.

Marie and Michael joined us later and we all had dinner at a very crowded Fresh Choice. It seemed like everyone was trying to get away from the heat.

On Sunday, I finished with the second set of blinds, and crawled under the house to finish some of the wiring work I had not yet finished when I worked on the kitchen remodel. I figured it'd be nice and cool under the house, but unfortunately in the heat of the day, it was still unpleasant under the house as well, but I got the wiring tacked up, another job finished. Just not the job I planned on working on this weekend!

No comments: