Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Dublin, Ireland and Missoula, Montana

I'm in Dublin, Ireland this week for a conference called NITES. It's an E-Security conference. I flew in Monday (arrived Tuesday morning). The weather in Ireland is extremely variable. It was stormy and snowing this morning (Wednesday), but by this afternoon it's already sunny (but cold). I've already had a taste of the local pubs (my co-workers insisted that I had to sample Guiness which is brewed locally here in Dublin).

Coincidentally over the weekend before I left, while I was watching home fix up shows, a travel show on Dublin came on, so I came to Dublin with some knowledge about the local sights and attractions. Last night while walking around the Temple Bar area of Dublin, I came across a local attraction, a bronze statue referred to in the TV show as the "tart with the cart". So it was interesting to see live the things I had just seen on TV over the weekend.

I've got a busy couple of days before heading back to the states on Friday, so I don't imagine I will have time to do much more sightseeing, but you never know.

Last week, I traveled to Missoula, Montana to attend Lars' mom's (Doris) funeral. She passed away the 13th of February from complications due to a fall she took in December. The ceremony was held at her church in Missoula, followed by a graveside service in Helena, Montana, where her husband is also buried.

The service itself was dignified, and nice, but it was the graveside service in Helena that was extremely moving. Lars' sister had arranged to have black and red balloons brought to the cemetary, and all in attendence were given a balloon. The day itself was clear and sunny, but cold. After the clergyman gave the service he signalled for all of us to release our balloons, a symbolic gesture allowing the attendees to release our ties with Doris. The balloons drifted into the distance as a group, and you could sense the sorrow of the group, as each of said good-bye to Doris in our own silent thoughts. It's a vision that will stay with me for a very long time.

No comments: