When I was younger and read books like crazy, I used to get extremely sad whenever I finished a book. It was like I got to meet a new friend, and had to say good-bye to that friend, when I turned the last page. It's strange because this year has been full of good-byes, I've had to say good-bye to Friends, to Frasier, and to the Practice among other TV shows. Yes, I'm silly to be sentimental towards TV shows, but to me they are just some of the things I've lived with for a long time. Today, I found out that the home I lived in for 3 years, a favorite house of mine was sold, so I'll no longer be able to visit it. It's strange to be sentimental about a house, a car, or some other inanimate object. But somehow that sentimentality seems like an old friend to me, and sentimentality seems to run in my family.
The thing I have to remind myself though is that when a book ends, there's a new one to start, and we've got lots of new chapters to go through. The first of course is enjoying the company of my newest niece, Michaela.
Thursday, May 13, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment