Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Chaos in San Jose

Former President Bill Clinton is in San Jose today signing copies of his new book "My Life". Coincidentally he's book signing at Barnes & Noble, specifically the one that is a few blocks away from my house. I've heard from the news reports that people started queueing for the signing yesterday, even though he won't begin signing until 8:30 pm tonight.

When I left for work this morning, there was already a traffic jam on the main route, San Tomas Expressway, and the line waiting to see Bill Clinton was already down San Tomas (even though the bookstore is on a cross street). I imagine my commute home this evening will be a mess as well. It's expected well over 2,000 people will wait in line for the opportunity to see Bill Clinton for a few seconds and to get an autograph.

Lars had originally planned on going to get a copy of the book and getting it autographed, but when he heard about how much chaos was surrounding the event, and the volumes of people expected, he decided to forgo the signature. As I told Lars, I wasn't particularly enthused about the idea of getting Bill Clinton's signature, but on the other hand if it were Hillary Clinton, I'd have much more of an incentive to brave the crowds.

So I expect we'll spend a quiet evening at home tonight instead, and we're planning on putting together a new gazebo we purchased for the backyard. So next time you're visiting us, you'll get to be nice and shady under the big tent.

No comments: